Saturday, November 15, 2008

Slight change in plans...

So, I've decided to travel to Pokhara to stay for a week or two...or three. Pokhara is a much smaller town than KMD situated about...well, about 6 hours drive west of KMD. Georgia (my friend from England) and I took the Greenline bus, leaving KMD at 7AM this morning. I have to say, this was probably the best bus ride I've ever had. Not because the bus was really nice (it was okay, probalby luxury compared to riding on top of a bus, maybe), but because the scenery was FANTASTIC!! People, rivers, valleys. It's a Saturday, the weekly day off from school and, if you're a lucky Nepali, work too. Lots of people out. Lots of things being carried. It's also rice harvesting season so we saw rice in every stage of harvest. Unfortunately, my camera wouldn't have done the scene justice so I don't have very many pictures.

Pokhara: I've only just arrived but it's very scenic. The town sits on a lake beneath the Annapurna mountains. Really pretty. This town is quieter and cleaner, and seems safer. We're staying here for $15/night total (not per person...a steal!!! Brand new, hot showers, flush toilet...all the ammenities that I've grown to love).

I'll post more photos tomorrow. Promise!

Namaste!

2 comments:

Brian and Anelle said...

Hi Tammie! Anelle and Brian here. Glad to hear you are out of Kathmandu. Can't spend a full week there. We are now in Varanasi, read our newest blog for update on Chitwan and the travel here. Chitwan was pretty good, not worth the $$ we paid I feel, and especially frustrating since not as quiet as I had hoped. Might be worth going independently, with your new Brit friend, since you are really on your own at the lodge by arrival "group" and then put together in other groups for the safari's, etc.
We are having trouble with our e-mail tonight, which is why I'm posting through your blog. Stay in touch and we wish you well in your travels! Can't wait to hear more about Pokhara... probably where we would go next time in Nepal! :)

A & B

Shannon said...

Pokhara looks amazing from the images I googled. I'm sure they don't do the area justice which is even more impressive. Enjoy the new city! :)