Monday, November 10, 2008

Getting my act together to post photos

Okay, I'm trying to download my photos again. The computer I'm using today (right next to the one I was using yesterday, which is now occupied by a Nepali boy playing a video game), is having trouble multi-tasking. I'm copying 100 photos at at time and am hoping the computer doesn't crash. Something sounding like Nepali Ricky Martin is playing on the radio. Oh, and another funny thing about this Internet cafe, which is a hole in the wall that doesn't serve coffee or beverages of any kind: all the keyboards have the letters handwritten on little pieces of paper and taped on. So, the keys don't stick but my fingers stick to the keyboard.

Okay, here are some pics from the first few days of the trip.
Day 1 and 2: 101 World Heritage sites in 8 hours. These were from our sightseeing day around KMD with Shree. You will find more on Brian and Anelle's site.

We visited the gigantic Bodhnath stupa. Surrounding the stupa are hundreds of small shops and several monasteries. We were allowed to go inside one of the monasteries between prayer ceremonies and take photos. At first, I thought the juxtaposition of the traditional and modern was interesting. But then I realized that this clock was positioned in the front of the room within easy view of the monks. Hmmmm. I guess the Rinpoche sometimes gets a little long-winded?



Okay, more photos tomorrow, I promise. I've spent the last three hours downloading disk 2 onto a flash drive. Huge pain in the a**. In fact, I can no longer sit in this seat : )

Namaste!


4 comments:

Giovanna-星 said...

I think you travel a very interesting! I am a Chinese girl! For more foreign affairs! You can be friends?

Shannon said...

There's got to be a better way! Thanks for going to all the trouble so we can see you pics! :)

Unknown said...

I think you should fly home, show us the pictures, then fly back. I'm way too impatient to have to wait for the upload to complete.

Jim said...

Namaskar Bahini, Ke chaa? Timi laai Nepal kasto laagyo? Timi laai ra Holly laai kasto laagyo? Aajakal bolne Nepali bhaasaa? Nepal asaadhyai raamro chaa?

To bad you will miss the bhoj. So you like the "milk" river. Did you look at the water up close? It is sparkly from silica ( which will make you sick if swallowed)

When I was in Nepal daal bhaat cost 4 and 1/2 rupees and 1 dollar = 12 rupees. My favorite trek was a circumnavigation of the Annapurna range - up the Marsiyandi river over Thorong Pass and down the Kali Gandanki. Thakalis run many of the good hotels and restraunts in Nepal and that trek goes right thru their home valley. I was never able to go to the everest trek (It was too expensive in the area for volunteers.) but did hike from Bhojpur (party city - next valley to the east of the Dudh Kosi) to my village in AatRai Phokari above the Timal river. I could see Sagarmatha from the trek which went very high into snow country - just a speck behind all the other mountains. But unlike you all I never got time/money to go to Everest up close. However from my farm house I could see Kanchenjunga every day (the 3rd highest mountain in the world) really big and bright.

Saturday I ran the canyon with Jim Snyder and friend Attila and we had a ball. It was in the 50s and the river was empty except for us.

Do not get birami as it is no fun. Have fun.