Sunday, November 16, 2008

People on the way to Namche

So I'm really behind in the photo posting. Here are more from the first few days journey to Namche Bazaar.

Lots and lots of kids out running around. They all seemed to know that tourists usually come with candy. Giving children candy or handouts is looked down upon by Nepalis so we didn't give in to their cute faces.


The trekking valleys of the Everest region contain some of the richest Nepalis in the country. Even though Nepal is one of the poorest countries in the world, people here are healthy and seem generally happy.






















The Nepali army has a pretty strong presence on the trails and in Kathmandu. They wear camouflage but instead of shades of green, it's shades of blue...odd.

These men are Nepali army taking a break along the trekking trail. I guess hiking up these trails is tough for everyone. The dog...well, there are stray dogs everywhere. For the most part, they seem to be well-fed.








Okay, as an aside, there is a little girl in this internet cafe who is singing the alphabet tune (but in Nepali) at the very top of her lungs while looking at her reflection in a window. Cute. But maybe later, when I trying to talk via Skype halfway across the world, it won't be so cute : )

Many times along the path, we needed to move to the inside, maybe halfway up a cliff, to get out of the way of a dzopku train. Harka is laughing at me because I crawled so far up the rock to get out of their way. They made me a little nervous after 1. we heard of a tourist being gored in the leg a few days earlier in Namche and 2. I was chased by one in Namche for maybe 20 yards a few days later. All turned out okay, really. There's a slightly longer story to this that I will save for another post. Anyhow, I give them their distance.Okay, this is all for now. I'll post more tomorrow.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Who knew handouts where looked down upon?!!? Very interesting. I've heard of travelers giving things out so that's a good thing to know in advance. Not that I'm headed to Nepal anytime soon.
Thanks again for more pics - I know it takes awhile. We do appreciate them though.
And I'm glad the (so far) token stray dog image you've uploaded is a well-fed guy. :)

Unknown said...

Great pictures. I'm going to take a copy of the toilet shot and recommend it as an option to replace the porta-john at the Yough Stop.

So what did you do to piss off that poor little animal?