Friday, November 14, 2008

1st Trekking Days

More photos : ) Each one takes about five minutes.

On the left is Mingma, our Sherpa guide, though he's not Sherpa, who walks in front of the group, and Harka, our guide who walks behind the group. In this photo, Mingma looks like thug but he's really not : )
These are not our porters but it's typical of what they carry (these baskets are everywhere). Most porters carry a very heavy walking stick that doubles as seat. Each of our porters carried two large, red, World Expeditions duffels along with a tent. Lots of stuff. On our way out of the park two weeks later, we saw men carrying tremendous loads including several cases of beer. Oh, and the average height of a porter is shorter (and thinner, ha!) than me.These boys were playing marbles on the "street" in Lukla (they were quite good). They really loved the camera and seeing themselves on the LCD screen.










Here is our first campsite, in Ghat. See our orange tents in the background? This particular site was occupied by a baby cow who trotted around after us like a puppy. Our lunch table was usually a blue tarp placed on the ground (we wouldn't want to sit on dung, would we).








A Typical bridge: we crossed several back and forth across the Dudh Kosi (milke river...because of all the white water!!). This one is 109.5 meters long and is constructed of steel (nearly all are, at least what we saw in the Everest region).

3 comments:

Joe T said...

Hi Tammie - Sarah gave me your blog site and I thought I would say "hi". Great trip...great pictures! Have you been practicing any asanas? I have been back to Sunday and Monday classes the last 2 weeks...~ 14 weeks postop. Hope to see you in class when you return.

Joe T

Shannon said...

So how hold were your guides? You had mentioned meeting their families and having dinner with them.

I love the campsite image. It's very intriguing and I don't think at first glance you would at all know it's location.

Of course I love the baby HOLY COW! ;)

Tammie said...

Thanks Joe! It's great to hear you're back in class. I'll definitely be in class when I return. I really miss the place. I haven't done yoga since October 13th (7PM, Zoe). But I'll be trying a class tomorrow morning, here in Pokhara, Nepal. We'll see how it goes.