Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I'm still standin'!

I'm in Dingboche today. Pretty little village. It's been a long...lots of days, can't count. I'll write more when I get to a cheaper spot. This place has plywood walls and gravel floors and no heat, of course. Funny.

Trekking in Nepal is amazing. The mountains tower over us with each step. It's physically but more mentally exhausting even though I'm doing pretty well, relatively speaking. I haven't had any issues with altitude though mild AMS has plagued my trekmates. Everyone has been on Diamox except me. Unfortunately, Holly had to descend at Machermo due to moderate AMS. She's doing well and probably on a plane back to the states as I write this. So, I'm on my own a little earlier than anticipated. But, so far so good.

So, we're on our way back down. I'm happy about that. It's really very cold up here and I'm happy to not have to sleep in a down coat inside a down sleeping bag. Cho La pass was definitely the most physically exhausting 7 hours of my life. The first three hours involved crawling up a boulder-strewn cliff. The next hour involved crossing snow and ice. And then three hours down a boulder-strewn cliff. Yep, tears were shed : ) I was sure a porter would have to carry me out. But I later realized that I was coming down with a slight cold and had a low fever. My energy was sapped. I could barely put one foot in front of the other.

I'm good now. Feeling good. I'll write more later.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

It's good to hear from you! I'm glad that even with the tough (and really tough) parts you are enjoying the trek. I'm even happier to hear you are healthy and feeling better than before. I'm sorry to hear Holly had to depart, that's too bad!
Can't wait to hear more. I already see another blog posted for me to read.
Namaste.