Friday, November 21, 2008

High five, still alive!

This is what a Norwegian girl on my trip said after a particularly difficult rapid : ) Really though, it went pretty well. I was the only kayaker on the first day of my trip along with one safety kayaker...I went with a rafting group. On the second day, we met up with a beginner kayak class.

The river (the Lower Seti, not the Sun Kosi as I had mentioned earlier), was decidedly not a beginner river : ) Ha! That's what I said after I swam twice the first day : o The best way to describe the river was that it had the pushiness of the Gauley but with class II-III rapids instead of class III-IV. Big-a** wave trains that knock your boat around...big fun. The scenery was beautiful, the water wasn't too cold, and the river was a pretty aqua color.

The first day, I couldn't for the life of me, put my boat where I wanted it so I ended up flipping and then missing rolls. The second day was supposed to get harder but I switched to a more stable boat and got the feel of the water and didn't flip. Yay!! The new boaters did amazingly well on the river, especially the last rapid of day 2, which was class III+ and was pretty big. It was carnage (about half swam, upside down boats everywhere) but half stayed up and made it through. Nice job!

The bus ride back was a little sketchy. We left later than we wanted and it was dark for about half of the 4-hour ride. I will try to avoid that in the future.

I'll try to post some photos this afternoon.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

awesome, what kind of boat were you in?

Tammie said...

On the first day, I was in a Pyranha acrobat (introduced in 1995!!). On the second day, I was in a Eskimo Salto which is a bigger-volume boat that seemed easier to steer : )

Shannon said...

Sounds like you had a good trip. Yeah! Of course all the kayaking lingo is lost on me but I totally get what you mean by "pretty aqua color!" :)

Jim said...

Pretty neat about the kayaking - SOunds like big water. Is it cold yet? Should be getting cold by now. Isn't Machapuchre just beautiful from Pokhara? Pokhara is really nice place to stay and its warm in the winter. I am really glad you were able to get there. Is the river water sparkly from Mica? Is it expensive to rent boats?

Tammie said...

The water was still pretty warm, relatively speaking...ie not as cold as the Nanty but after the second swim, I was a little cold ; )

The rivers were sparkly in the shallow areas but the were pretty deep. I'll spend some time tomorrow posting photos. I paid $100 US to kayak for two days and it included tent, sleeping bag, boats, food, bus ride (which they should have paid me for!). It's warm and pretty here. I'll probably stay a little longer : )

Garrett said...

The Salto is the boat the Kayak club here in Louisville has been letting me borrow at rolls sessions. I will always have a fond place in my heart for the Eskimo.

Unknown said...

I just looked at your pictures - incredible. And I'm not the least bit jealous. I'm absolutley thrilled to be sitting in a windowless office 12 stories above the ground while you suffer the travails of beautiful scenery and interesting culture. Nope, I don't want to be you at all...damnit.

Mary said...

Always thought the Salto was a really interesting looking boat. Glad it worked out well for you.
I'm absolutely loving looking at all the pictures you've been putting up. Everything is just so bright and beautiful.

Brian and Anelle said...

Hi Tammie,
Got your other message about heading to India soon... are you in India yet? I know you weren't going to Mumbai but I'm sure it's pretty crazy everywhere with the bombings today... or if you are in Nepal are you staying longer? We landed 4:30 AM today, managing to avoid the chaos by the skin on our teeth. I'm sure the whole country is on high alert and Delhi is chaos on a normal day! Stay SAFE!