Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Shameless plug for Icebreaker undies

Dad, you can skip this blog if you want : )
So a few months ago, I was in a car with some friends driving from a river takeout back to the put-in to pick up a car. I was thinking how happy I was to be wearing my merino wool thermals. It was a cool day and the water (the Nanty) was freezing, as usual. Even though I was soaking wet, my base layers kept me warm from shoulders to ankles. They're soft, they dry fairly quickly, and they can sit wet in a bag for a day or two without getting stinky (you all know how sensitive my nose is to stinky things). My wool thermals are among my favorite items of clothing.

So there I was, sitting in my wet wool on the way back to the put-in when I thought, somebody should make merino wool underwear (and by underwear, I mean panties)? What's the point of a wool base layer if the base base layer was cotton or nylon? I must have been mulling out loud because my friend Eve said, "Icebreaker makes wool underwear!" So two weeks before my trip, I ordered 5 pairs of Icebreaker wool underwear over the Internet. These are the only pairs I brought on my trip and have worn them every day. I have to say, I will never wear anything else. After 21 days trekking (17 without a shower), a few months of bucket laundry and air drying, and about a month of Keralan jungle heat, they are still as good as new. They didn't shrink or stretch, they are not scratchy, they kept me cool in the heat and warm in the cold, they washed easily, and they dried in about 2 hours. Aaaand best of all, they all still pass the non-stinky test : ) Check them out here:

http://www.icebreaker.com/site/catalog/search.html?flag=Underwear&gender=Woman

I ordered them from an online outdoor retailer but I can't remember which one. So there you have it. Icebreaker undies are the best undies ever : ) Now don't get me started on my Icebreaker sweater, which I've also worn nearly every day and still looks like new.

Thanks Eve and thanks Icebreaker!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammie,
All of us at Icebreaker wanted to say a big "thanks" for your 'shameless plug of Icebreaker undies'! We are so glad you love the undies we make - we think they are pretty great too!
Enjoy the rest of your travels,
Leah - Icebreaker New Zealand.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how wool underwear (or thermals, even) can't be itchy. Maybe I have a wool intolerance (or maybe my wool sweaters are just not great quality), but it always makes me itch like mad.