Thursday, January 8, 2009

Onward in India and then...home!!

After I left the ashram in Kerala, I've had a little time in civilization. I spent about 2 days (with travel) at the Amma ashram and then traveled to Varkala, a beach town with a stunning cliff overhanging a beach on the Arabian Sea. I left there this morning and am making my way to Bangalore in the state of Karnataka, leaving the state of Kerala : ( There, I will visit another ashram that was recommended by my ashram book (yes, I have a book of ashrams: From Here to Nirvana) and by a fellow traveler. Here's the web site to the ashram. I'll have to get up even earlier at this place. Yikes!!
http://www.svyasa.org/arogyadhama/arogyadhama.asp
I'll be there for at least one week and maybe for two, depending on how I like it. Again, I have no idea whether or not I'll have internet or phone. I'm going to try to buy a SIM card for my cell when I get to Bangalore but the ashram is about an hour outside the city.
After Bangalore, I'll be making my way to the state of Tamil Nadu on the eastern coast of India. There, I will be spending about 10 days at the Quite Healing Center in Auroville (in interesting community...check out the web site.)
http://quiethealingcenter.info/index.htm
http://www.auroville.org/

And then....I'm coming home! Yep. I'm heading home on Feb 16th, about a month earlier than I had originally planned. I've decided to enroll in a yoga teacher training course at It's Yoga (now Grow Yoga) that starts on Feb 19. I couldn't pass up the opportunity, especially since I'm not working right now. I'm not sure if Michael (he's subletting my apartment while I'm away) will be able to find a place that soon so I might need to couch-surf for a few weeks after I return. Any takers? I will have been living out of a backpack for 4 months so I guess a few more weeks won't hurt.

Oh, and I almost forgot to tell you about the elephants. No, they had nothing to do with Amma except that we visited an elephant sanctuary the day we left the ashram for Amma's. We were only going to go for an elephant ride but when we arrived, they were bathing one of the elephants in the lake. We got to get in the water to "help" scrub his wrinkly skin with coconut husks. I put "help" in quotes because we probably weren't doing such a good job with the cleaning, what with all the posing for photos that we were doing : )

I'll be in touch when I arrive at my next destination : )

7 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm excited to hear about your upcoming Ashrams and the city of Auroville.
I have your daybed and you're always welcome to visit it and stay way up north here if you want.
See you in a few weeks!

Anonymous said...

You know you're always welcome at my place. I'm right upstairs :)

Unknown said...

Cool - can stay here as well.
How clean is clean when you're an elephant?

Anonymous said...

Hey Tammie, still glad to know you're safe and having an amazing time. You're always welcome to stay here across the hall from your place. You know I'm always eating so I have food! Did you see any baby elephants? I love the babies.
Tabatha

Tammie said...

Thanks for the open couches : ) Yes, I did see two baby (adolescent) elephants. They tapped each of us on the head with their trunks, which is nice except that you get elephant snot in your hair : )

Shannon said...

You can sleep here now and then too! We have an extra bed about 3-4 days each week. :)

David and Amelia said...

Hey Tammie

I'll chime in with the rest, you're welcome to crash at our place. We have a queen sized futon in Ada's room, and since she doesn't sleep in there, you'd pretty much have your own room (except for her clothes).

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

Amelia