Sunday, January 11, 2009

Conversational Indian

Here are a few phrases you should know if you converse with Indians in India. Again, it's more fun if you bring to mind an India accent.

1. Phrases created by saying a common English word twice:
okay okay
use 1. affirmative, answer to a question. As in:
Question: okay?
Answer: okay, okay (accompanied by the head waggle, approximated by making a small figure 8 with your nose)
use 2: term of concession, esp. after bargaining; consider the following conversation:
me: How much to go to the post office?
rickshaw driver: 75 rupees
me: 75 rupees?? That's too much. Yesterday, I paid 50 (yes, had to go twice, separate story).
rickshaw driver: 60 rupees
me: No, too much. 50
rickshaw driver: okay, okay
use 3: phrase used in cell-phone conversations. Overheard:
"okay, okay...okay, okay................okay, okay"

same, same
meaning: this is the same as that, even when it is clearly not. Consider the following conversation between a tailor and me when I tried on a pair of pants he sewed for me:
me: These don't fit the same as the sample I tried on.
tailor: Same, same.
me: No. These are much longer here (length) and shorter here (rise).
tailor: Same, same.
me (upon trying on the sample again): See, these are not the same.
tailor: okay, okay (accompanied by the head waggle)

2. Common phrases heard in areas with many tourist shops.
Just come inside.
Just have a look.
Looking, free of charge.
Just look, madame.
You first customer. I need good luck. Good price.
Morning time. I make you good price.
Evening time. I make you good price.
This is good price, madame.


3. Phrases describing the relative gravity of a situation.
No problem
meaning: what you might consider a problem isn't really a problem.
me: Why has the car stopped running?
taxi driver: No problem, madam. I'll be right back. [he leaves with no explanation. 20 minutes later, he comes back with a can of gas (petrol)].
taxi driver: No problem.

Big problem

meaning: something that you might not consider a problem but which is actually a deal-breaker
taxi driver: 50 rupees, madam
me: I only have 100. Can you give change?
taxi driver: big problem

Not possible
meaning: response to what you might think is a reasonable request
me: Can I have the fruit muesli curd (cereal with curd and mixed fruit) but without papaya?
waiter: Not possible.
me: Is the fruit pre-mixed?
waiter: No madam. Not pre-mixed. Made when you order.
me: Can you not add papaya?
waiter: Not possible. It comes with banana, orange, papaya, and mango.
me: okay okay (accompanied by the head waggle : )

[Side note: since coming to India, I’ve discovered that I really don’t like papaya. For some reason, to me, it tasted like vomit.]

That's all for now : )

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I can just see you having these conversations with people and I'm laughing out loud and educated my coworkers. Love the descriptions/examples! Glad you're having fun. Watch out for that elephant hair gel mentioned in your last post/comments!

Unknown said...

Hilarious!!!! I can't decide which is funnier - "same same" or "not possible." Will laugh about these again tomorrow!

Christina378 said...

Hi Tammie,
Liz gave me your blog site. Haven't talked with you since H.S. Looks like your on quite the trip.
Would love to get in touch with you when you get back...got some catching up to do. Have to swap phone numbers and stuff.
-Christy (it's been too long)

Tammie said...

Hey Christy!! It has been a while. Yes, I'll be in touch when I return. Thanks for the post : )

Tammie