Saturday, October 18, 2008

IJA: Internet Junkies Anonymous

Hi, my name is Tammie and I'm an Internet junkie. So we spent the better part of a day wandering Thamel. Pure chaos. It will be nice to get out of the city and into the mountains. But, alas, we found a hole-in-the-wall Internet location recommended on a random web site. Prices vary...a lot! Hotel: 15 Internet minutes = 200 rupees. Here: 15 minutes = 15 rupees.

If I didn't mention it earlier, 1 dollar = about 75 rupees

Purchases
1 set of trekking poles: 900 rupees
1 pair of boot gaiters: 300 rupees
1 fleece neck gaiter: 100 rupees
1 rickshaw ride: priceless

Actually, the rickshaw ride (prefix, rick-, as in rickety) was 200 rupees (yes, way way too much).

More later!

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Sounds like you well rested now! I guess I did not know that daal (also spelled dal, dahl, or dhal) was made from anything other than lentils. I think I'll be learning new things in every post though. Happy Shopping!

Unknown said...

the hole-in-the-wall places are always the best! I love internet cafes!

Good luck on Monday with the flight - I'll be sending positive thoughts your way!

David and Amelia said...

glad to hear you arrived safely.

based on your description of the hotel, we should have done focus groups in kathmandu - sounds way better than that dive of a hotel in miami. we probably should have been purifying the water there too. :-)

ready for a 5000 ft altitude change? i hope the pilot sticks the landing on the first pass when you land in lukla - doesn't look like you get a second chance. :-)

Unknown said...

I hope to see video of that rickshaw ride.